Cody

ARK: Survival Evolved price increase

12 posts in this topic

ARK: Survival Evolved is now being a list on Steam for $59.99/£54.99/€69.99 by the creators Studio Wildcard. We have known for some time now that ARK would be listed at a reduced price until launch, which is currently scheduled for August 8th. However, with the current state of the game can Studio Wild really justify ARK as a $59.99 USD or almost $80 USD equivalent in Euros?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/ARK_Survival_Evolved/

If you are interested in my thoughts on the issue. I have over 400 hours played in ARK, and I got the game on sale for $14.99 well over 6 months back. As the ARK stands now with no real game direction/story/understandable lore I would never think of ARK as a triple A game, but I would never say that it was just another simple indie side scroller. That being said I think a safer price point for ARK would be $39.99, but even then there is a lot of optimisation and coalition detection bugs that need to be corrected before justify even $39.99. 

What are your thoughts on this change in price?

If you have played ARK, would you price it at a triple A game level?

If you have not played ARK, does the new price make you disinterested in the game?

Usually games have a price decrease instead of an increase after they've been around a while. This seems like a bad move to me! :/

It's because they are releasing the final product (non Early Access) on August 8th with all new fresh servers. There will probably be a huge push for people that didn't want to purchase an early access game.

I played since the beginning (1500 hrs logged) and it's definitely closer to a triple A game than an indie game.  That being said, they have completely destroyed the original gameplay from the original design.  I am not sure how many new players they think they are going to get, but if you aren't in a clan by now and haven't played a bit, on release day, you will lost and probably wiped by the large clans.  Cross server transfers force you to be in a clan and no longer solo play on a server which is going to create a really high entry barrier for new players.

On 7/11/2017 at 10:41 AM, prefinem said:

It's because they are releasing the final product (non Early Access) on August 8th with all new fresh servers. There will probably be a huge push for people that didn't want to purchase an early access game.

I played since the beginning (1500 hrs logged) and it's definitely closer to a triple A game than an indie game.  That being said, they have completely destroyed the original gameplay from the original design.  I am not sure how many new players they think they are going to get, but if you aren't in a clan by now and haven't played a bit, on release day, you will lost and probably wiped by the large clans.  Cross server transfers force you to be in a clan and no longer solo play on a server which is going to create a really high entry barrier for new players.

That makes sense. I may pick it up if it goes back on discount later this year. 

You might look for someone selling an ark account if you want to pick it up cheap to try.  I know most of the people in my clan made a second and third account for grinding and I know a few of them will probably get rid of them if they haven't already.

@Leala and @prefinem Looking over just a few third party reseller sites, it appears that there are still postings for the game that are under $40. It is likely that you can still pick up a copy for cheap, but who knows how long that will last.

Compared to the PC version of ARK the console version are still relatively new. If sales don't go as projected, Studio Wild Card will reevaluate the price change, or consider adding their DLC of Scorched Earth to the $60 copy of the game. 

This will be an interesting next month if they can keep their sale prices high.

IMO, this gives older players big leg up because the barrier to entry is higher now that it was in the past so there will probably be less people picking it up.

I just hope that this does not split their player base, I personally have run into a similar problem with Battlefield. A high entry cost and added DLC can cause servers to block content or ban people from using items that are not available to all players on the server, I mean I have been on the receiving end of a Dragon whilst playing on the Center... Not fun.  

Yeah, the definitely sucks.  That's a huge problem with cross server transfers, and one that is honestly what made me stop playing the game.

I can understand that if I did not have friends who hosted private servers I don't think I would have as much play time on ARK as I do. But, at the same time, private servers can get boring if you know everyone, cause you are less likely to start fights with one another. There are some good servers out there that have weekly or monthly resets that make it easier for new players to join, but also frustrating cause you never stop grinding and building.

The worse thing about private servers is discoverability.  There is no way for random people to find you so it ends up just you and your friends, which you might as well just place on a PVE server

1 hour ago, prefinem said:

The worse thing about private servers is discoverability.  There is no way for random people to find you so it ends up just you and your friends, which you might as well just place on a PVE server

giphy.gif