ShawnKingston

Need help with choosing a GPU

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,I am new to this subreddit... and need your help.

A year ago, I finally built my first gaming PC, but because of high prices of RAM and GPU at the time, I didn't buy a GPU because I didn't have money for it.Now, I will be getting my tax returns, and figured it was finally time to bite the bullet.

I have a MSI B360-A PRO motherboard, i5 8400, 8 gb of RAM (will be getting a stick of another 8 gb soon) and Corsair 200R case.

I have been using a shitty old MSI AMD R7 370 OC until now as a stopgap from my old PC, and I really need an upgrade.

The thing I wanted to ask about is - should I go for 1660 ti, 2060 or 2070?I am currently gaming in 1080p, and if I do upgrade my monitor in coming years, I will certainly be going for 1440p one. So basically I would like to know if it's not an overkill to go for 2070 (or a used 1080 ti) for a setup like this.

I want to play at 75 fps, and don't mind turning off some settings to achieve higher FPS in 1440p (I turn off a lot either way, like DoF, Motion Blur and other stuff).

edit: one thing I want to mention - prices in my country are a little bit higher than in the US. 1660 ti goes for around 350 USD, 2060 goes for 440 USD on the cheaper side, 2070 goes for 570 on the cheaper side.

Awesome choice on the case, I'm a huge fan of Corsair products specifically their cases within the Obsidian series! 

Considering the new series of nVidia cards are about to be released and have a significant upgrade in performance from the RTX 20 series there should be an expected price drop once they release. Considering that I would say go for a 2070/80 or if you can wait, a 2080TI.

From personal experience gaming in 2k (1440p) I use a 2080TI and have no problem on most games (maxed) given they are optimized. You should be overkilling with any GFX card as the more powerful it is the longer it will be useful. Continuing on is that you should definitively invest in the RTX 20 series due to the substantial vram increase from the previous series!

On 7/18/2019 at 5:14 AM, ShawnKingston said:

Hey guys,I am new to this subreddit... and need your help.

A year ago, I finally built my first gaming PC, but because of high prices of RAM and GPU at the time, I didn't buy a GPU because I didn't have money for it.Now, I will be getting my tax returns, and figured it was finally time to bite the bullet.

I have a MSI B360-A PRO motherboard, i5 8400, 8 gb of RAM (will be getting a stick of another 8 gb soon) and Corsair 200R case.

I have been using a shitty old MSI AMD R7 370 OC until now as a stopgap from my old PC, and I really need an upgrade.

The thing I wanted to ask about is - should I go for 1660 ti, 2060 or 2070?I am currently gaming in 1080p, and if I do upgrade my monitor in coming years, I will certainly be going for 1440p one. So basically I would like to know if it's not an overkill to go for 2070 (or a used 1080 ti) for a setup like this.

I want to play at 75 fps, and don't mind turning off some settings to achieve higher FPS in 1440p (I turn off a lot either way, like DoF, Motion Blur and other stuff).

edit: one thing I want to mention - prices in my country are a little bit higher than in the US. 1660 ti goes for around 350 USD, 2060 goes for 440 USD on the cheaper side, 2070 goes for 570 on the cheaper side.

Dont waste your money on RTX a 1060 8Gb or a 1080 8GB GTX card is solid enough. You can get a High end GPU but if its low on V-Ram you pretty much wasted money on the GPU cuz you wont be able to jack the Graphics very High unless the game is like old old before that card came out.

Instead of a Intel Processor get this one this is the same price of the i5-9600K but a i7 Version

AMD RYZEN 7 2700X 8-Core 3.7 GHz (4.3 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 105W YD270XBGAFBOX Desktop Processor

or if you go with Intel this would be a better choice

Intel Core i5-9600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I59600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

The Problem with PC gaming you gotta get the same power GPU & CPU or you will bottleneck an that will be bad

for a GPU get this i figured if your teight on cash so i went with a refurbished product. its 8GB V-Ram so you should have no problem Jacking Ultra at 1080p60 plus it has OC. Wouldnt bother with 4K cuz the human eye cant really see 4K cuz 4K picture has so many pixels

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080TTOC-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support ATX Turbo OC Video Card

Make sure to gimme love if i helped you