doraemonjaan121

Worthy upgrade?

Question

Should I upgrade from my iPad Mini 2? I have had this tablet for 5 years and despite its good condition, it is still slowish, low on space, has wifi issues and iOS support has ended.

I have been thinking of whether to upgrade or not, but I am not sure if it's the wise thing to do. I've heard of rumours regarding new iPads which may be announced in a few months, but I wouldn't go and buy those.

If I were to upgrade, I would go for an iPad Pro model, maybe the 2017 one if it gets cheaper for many reasons - the great internals, pro motion, but I could settle for the Mini 5 or the 2018 iPad. Is it worthy though?

I don't want to spend a lot of cash, but I wouldn't want to go all the way with very old models. Anything from 2017 and beyond is alright for me.

What do you guys think?

1 answer to this question

You should wait for the new iPads to hit the market so the old (newer) versions get a price drop. If you are capping out your capacity of your current iPad I would suggest getting the next step up from it. The reason being is when the storage becomes within ~15% free space left the performance will tank (fall) as some storage space is used as RAM, similar to paging on HDDs and SSDs. Doing so will prolong the life span on the iPad that you will get so long as you don't completely use all the storage. 

Bottom line; iPads are kind of cheap when you compare them to laptops, particularly the mini's. I'd say go for the upgrade after the release of the new lineup and keep an eye on pricing!