Cody

Can PUBG and alike change the Triple-A industry

5 posts in this topic

It has been made clear since the release of PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS(PUBG) that it is time for a refresh in the FPS genre.  With over 4 million copies sold in only 4 months and over taking Grand Theft Auto V as the third most played game on the Steam market place today, it is hard not to catch the attention to many Tripple-A developers and publishers.

One Tripple-A publisher, in particular, has recently spoken out about the huge success that is PUGB. In a recent earnings call, the game publishing company, Ubisoft had addressed questions about PUBG, and its influence and impact on Ubisoft's current FPS titles. In an interesting response to this question, we hear remarks of the interest in the game play style and the possible inclusion future DLCs. 

“maybe you will see in some of the DLC we do in some of our games in the future” - time mark of the conference call 26:40

I can personally say that PUBG is a tonne of fun and the most polished when it comes to current Battle Royal games available today. Personally, I think the inclusion of this to current games like Rainbow Six Seige would not bode well, as they were not created with the intent of having 100 players in a match. That being said Ubisoft shouldn't be discouraged from taking and innovating on the Battle Royal game style. Games like Dishonoured or the Division could be a great platform to start, as they already have large online comunities and level designs.   

I am interested to hear what you think of Ubisoft's interest in PUBG, and if there are any games you would like to see with this game type added!

It seems to me like PUBG is that perfect storm of a game that has simple mechanics but is always fresh because of the randomness of PVP. That and being a really fun game to watch on Twitch have made it the hit that it is. 

Let the players be the content and they never run out of things to do is really the mantra of the most successful games today. As an old MMO and RPG player, it's been a little sad to see the shift, but I totally understand it. Quests, story driven content and boss fights take exponentially more development time and players can chew through the content in hours and immediately ask for more. 

I've been gaming heavily since the late 80's. Every 5/10 years you tend to see a huge momentum shift in what is popular. The formula is almost always the same, an all time great game that perfects what previous games in the genre had been doing. WoW did it to EQ, CoD MW did it to BF2, LoL did it to og DotA, and now you have PUBG doing it to Battle Royale/King of the Kill. 

All of those games went on to long term sucess with a loyal following. The only problem is they are the apex of the genre. No matter how many games were proclaimed to be the WoW killer, none have come close to their numbers. No matter how much money was thrown at the MMO genre none could ever replicate the sucess. Same with MOBAs. At one point it seemed every major dev team had a moba in the works, none come close to LoL or Dota. 

I think it would be great to see a big publisher put a spin on the BR genre. I'm just a bit skeptical given the track record. I'd wager PUBG will continue to be the standard, no matter how much money gets thrown at the genre. 

@asdcomputing Great input and I can not agree more! I think the accessibility and seemingly level playing ground that PUBG places its players, will keep it on the top of the Battle Royal charts for some time. But, I will say it does have some competitors not too far off.

I have had the great privilege to participate in the closed Alpha of The Darwin Project. I have to say it is one of the most fleshed out Battle Royal games that I have had the pleasure of playing in recent memory, even at its current stage of development. I am not saying that it would ever topple PUBG, but with all the interest in the BR genre, we may see a shift in a large number of players to new games with different mechanics.

IMO, if the AAA companies like EA or Ubisoft were smart, they'd try and buy into PUBG and offer their massive dev teams, servers etc. to Bluehole for a cut. get the ball rolling faster on optimisation etc and get it released as a full game faster. Guess it depends on blueholes willingness to work with other companies, but i think that'd be the best strat from a business standpoint from AAA companies, instead of trying to compete with an already heavily established game.