death.in.next.door

Why Outfox needs support for each specific game?

11 posts in this topic

Hi

Let me explain. Popular games like "Battlefield 1, Battlefield 4, Arma 3, Rainbox Six Siege" have private dedicated servers so people can setup their own servers or rent other servers. So the server addresses are not the same all the time for these games. So why is it that Outfox can only be activated when a certain game is active? I don't think you can make a routing table with all the game's online servers in there because there are thousands of servers and they are changing. Furthermore most online servers are located in Europe and US.

Now my problem is that I live in the Middle East. I want to play Arma 3 & Battlefield 4. The best servers I can find for those games are in Germany which even then my latency is too high and I get kicked from the game in 2 minutes. The closest place for VPN companies to set up servers to my location is Dubai (because of politics).

If Outfox could be activated without the need to launch a specific game (e.g. Battlefield 1 which I don't play), it could tunnel me from Dubai to Europe and easily decrease my ping for a game I play (e.g. Battlefield 4) without the need to setup support for that specific game.

Is it not possible to have a button to just turn on Outfox and select a location like Europe and have the VPN be active all the time?

Thank you for reading all that (If you did) :D

Hey man!

I dont think that will be possible since they are not offering free vpn for all to download large files or streaming on netflix.

Just think about it one minute. People will abuse this programm and causing high pings again if you would deactivate the "support only" mode ;)

Games doesnt use that much of bandwidth. Thats the only way they can offer this service for free right now :)

Edited by kirg

I meant to activate it to use it just for gaming but yes that is very true. I hadn't thought about that people would abuse it. :/ Plus it's free right now because it's in beta. It can't stay free because the quality will drop faster than a wrestler drops from the ropes with a dropkick.

Can you think of a way around it? To be able to just activate Outfox without specific games, but prevent people from abusing it? o.O

Edited by death.in.next.door

@death.in.next.door,

First off, thanks for your post! I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Your assumption that Outfox's game-specific support is not dependent on existing knowledge of ALL game server locations is absolutely correct! It is not required that we know every endpoint, routing table, IP space, etc., for a game to support it (however we do learn more about game server locations and IPs over time to reduce the time it takes to execute decision making logic in the app).

The main reasons why Outfox is set up currently for game-specific support:

1) We have traffic capture constraints that restrict us to capturing UDP traffic only. This requires us to ensure that a game's online multiplayer session is UDP only prior to supporting the game.

2) Various games have very different behaviors for traffic and we are learning while testing and releasing. Games make many different connections from the client, which can wind up sending traffic to many different geographically placed servers. For example a game might: connect to one server to find a lobby> connect to another server when you are in the lobby> connect to a matchmaking server while you are in a lobby server> connect you to a new server for your actual game, etc (looking at you, Paladins). While this might not impact BF4 if you're dropping into a user-configured private/dedicated server (although it might depending on how the BF4 client behaves), it's still something we need to look at to verify if our connection logic meets a certain criteria. Currently we only connect to one site to direct game traffic, so it might have an impact on latency over time if a game makes connections to many different servers and we are on a server that was determined to be faster by a previous "decision" the app made.

3) We are not designing Outfox with the purpose of being an end-to-end VPN or Proxy solution, but rather to be an easy-to-use application for lowering latency and increasing stability for online gaming. With that in mind, we have been extremely open to identifying common networking scenarios that put gamers at a disadvantage and answering for those as well, in the long term.

4) We test internally, and improve the user experience by identifying the game played and showing a game icon in the Outfox UI. We want to verify that if Outfox supports a game, we are doing the best we can, for as many users as possible, to reduce latency and increase stability for that game, while preventing abuse concerns.

Now, here are some of the things that we have considered or planned to help alleviate the strict game-specific support:

1) Traffic capture for TCP (currently planned for work)
2) Custom game support (pick a game binary and allow Outfox to control all traffic for that game to a selected Outfox server)
3) Allowing Outfox to direct traffic through more than 1 Outfox site at a time (without causing disconnections in game)
These are just some ideas that we are exploring for the future of Outfox.

I hope this helps!

-Keegan

Thank you very much!

That was very informative and extensive. To be honest I wasn't expecting to receive that much attention :D

Is there anything that we "the users" can do to help?

Also the second Outfox supports Battlefield 4 and/or Arma 3, and I see that it does improve my latency I will buy and support it like this:

BspRv8X0.jpg

(I know Outfox is still free, I want to emphasize how much those 2 games mean to me,)

On 06/09/2017 at 2:44 AM, Keegan said:

@death.in.next.door,

First off, thanks for your post! I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Your assumption that Outfox's game-specific support is not dependent on existing knowledge of ALL game server locations is absolutely correct! It is not required that we know every endpoint, routing table, IP space, etc., for a game to support it (however we do learn more about game server locations and IPs over time to reduce the time it takes to execute decision making logic in the app).

The main reasons why Outfox is set up currently for game-specific support:

1) We have traffic capture constraints that restrict us to capturing UDP traffic only. This requires us to ensure that a game's online multiplayer session is UDP only prior to supporting the game.

2) Various games have very different behaviors for traffic and we are learning while testing and releasing. Games make many different connections from the client, which can wind up sending traffic to many different geographically placed servers. For example a game might: connect to one server to find a lobby> connect to another server when you are in the lobby> connect to a matchmaking server while you are in a lobby server> connect you to a new server for your actual game, etc (looking at you, Paladins). While this might not impact BF4 if you're dropping into a user-configured private/dedicated server (although it might depending on how the BF4 client behaves), it's still something we need to look at to verify if our connection logic meets a certain criteria. Currently we only connect to one site to direct game traffic, so it might have an impact on latency over time if a game makes connections to many different servers and we are on a server that was determined to be faster by a previous "decision" the app made.

3) We are not designing Outfox with the purpose of being an end-to-end VPN or Proxy solution, but rather to be an easy-to-use application for lowering latency and increasing stability for online gaming. With that in mind, we have been extremely open to identifying common networking scenarios that put gamers at a disadvantage and answering for those as well, in the long term.

4) We test internally, and improve the user experience by identifying the game played and showing a game icon in the Outfox UI. We want to verify that if Outfox supports a game, we are doing the best we can, for as many users as possible, to reduce latency and increase stability for that game, while preventing abuse concerns.

Now, here are some of the things that we have considered or planned to help alleviate the strict game-specific support:

1) Traffic capture for TCP (currently planned for work)
2) Custom game support (pick a game binary and allow Outfox to control all traffic for that game to a selected Outfox server)
3) Allowing Outfox to direct traffic through more than 1 Outfox site at a time (without causing disconnections in game)
These are just some ideas that we are exploring for the future of Outfox.

I hope this helps!

-Keegan

I completely agree with your answer but if you are using gaming vpn than VPN must be reliable. However, I am using Express and it excellent and faster than any other VPN, so my recommendation is ExpressVPN

Edited by markhascole
advertising link

I'm also extremely curious as to how and why Outfox works as it does.

My best understanding is that Outfox is just a proxy, with a focus on low latency and geographic server diversity. Theoretically, it should work for any game, even peer-to-peer games like Destiny 2 and Call of Duty.

I guess another poster made a good point that GoldenFrog doesn't want you to abuse their servers and use them for streaming, downloading files, browsing the web, etc. I'm guessing there are also privacy concerns, since OutFox proxies aren't encrypted like a typical VPN?

Nonetheless, I wish and hope GoldenFrog will offer some sort of solution for console gamers in the future. I've already used their non-gaming VyprVPN service through my DD-WRT router and played PS4 games on that, but the lag was pretty bad.

Shift to exit lag. Trust me this one is bullshit. Exitlagg is 100 times better than this and outfox is a scam shit. I check every solution, watch every youtube but this never works. Now I'm using exit lag which is very very great.

Outfox uses per-game support because we believe it makes for the most powerful and easy-to-use optimized gaming network solution. There are many benefits for support at an individual game level. ... We are able to further optimize that game after supporting it