viktorviktororaora

displaying wrong ping and no location

Question

league of legends, in-game ping (ms) 42. outfox thinks it's at 16 and is therefore not applying it's 35 possible ping. (fastest server setting) and since i don't know which server it gets 35 on i can't switch manually.

so why is it displaying as if i have much better ping and how do i find out which server has 35 ping?

2 answers to this question

Hey @viktorviktororaora,

When we gather network information to determine ping values, we are using raw ping data for your connection over our network. Sometimes, this will cause a discrepancy between the ping time you see with Outfox and the ping time you see in your game. In-game ping reports likely include additional factors such as latency overhead for server processing. Outfox pings are accurate to the network latency and do not include such factors.

However, if you are seeing improvement when using fastest server, we recommend continuing to use that instead of choosing the server locations manually as the fastest server to your location may change based on many different variables.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

-Tyler | Customer Support

@viktorviktororaora Along with what @Tyler mentioned, I can say for League of Legends specifically that we are unable to directly ping into Riot's network so we use ICMP-TTL to get as far into their network as we can and do a comparison of the latency returned for your standard connection and the Outfox connection. We don't intentionally report ping values that are different than in-game pings, we are just comparing two different types of network ping.

If you aren't seeing an Outfox Server in the interface, that means Outfox is choosing not to connect because we don't believe it's faster than your normal connection. However, if you click the settings icon in the top right and choose servers around the region of LoL that you are playing in, you can see if manually selecting a server is better for you than the "Fastest Server" option.

Also, if you can take a screenshot of the app during a live session so we can see what you're seeing, we can help more.

Thanks!