yotam96

overwatch
Overwatch connectivity issues

Question

Hello,

I've recently installed Outfox to try it out. Had some trouble logging in but resolved it after receiving excellent tech support.

I've only tried Outfox in PUBG and Overwatch. In PUBG it works well, I'm getting around ~30% improvement.

In Overwatch I get around 60% improvement, however I'm facing a very buggy behavior. This is what happens every time I connect to a game:

1. I enter the hero selection screen
  2. Outfox detects a session was started and connects me to a server - it is worth noting that at this point my ping already starts dropping in-game
  3. I get disconnected and reconnected to the game - my ping goes up
  4. Outfox detects the session was ended for some reason, then detects a new one
  5. I get disconnected from the game again and thrown into a very long loading screen, and then back into the hero selection screen again, my ping goes down again

This sequence takes almost two minutes, which is crucial in a game like Overwatch, as that usually costs me talking and making strategies with my teammates before the game starts, as well the entire pre-match setup duration (which is usually 30 or 60 seconds). If I'm playing defense I'll still be at the spawn room when the match has already started.

Edited by yotam96

18 answers to this question

Hi!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.  That certainly is strange behavior.

Which game server are you playing on?  NA, Europe, Asia?  Does this happen on multiple servers?

Have you tested this with multiple Outfox servers?  If not, I would recommend giving this a try by manually selecting a couple of different servers for a few games in Quick Play. 

I would also recommend the classic uninstall/reinstall to see if the issue persists, if you haven't done so already.

We look forward to hearing back from you!

I'm playing on Europe. I've already tired an uninstall-reinstall. Yes, this happens on multiple servers.

I've tried changing my server setting from Fastest Server to Amsterdam NL, and now it works without issues! Odd, but I'm fine with this, lol.

My bad, just had a disconnect again in a game. It was better than before, however (only had one disconnect as opposed to two)

I am getting inconsistent behavior - in some games (I'm trying this in custom lobbies and quick play) it works fine, in some it works same as before, and in some it's just a bit better (one less disconnect).

Thanks for getting back to us.  I'm sorry to hear the issue is persisting.

I went ahead and did some testing, and unfortunately I was not able to replicate the issue.  Do you possibly have any AV/Firewall software running, or perhaps a VPN?

Also, have you always experienced this issue, or is it something that only began recently, like say after the 3/20 Overwatch patch?

Looking forward to your reply!

I am not using any firewalls besides the default Windows Firewall, for which I have created both Inbound and Outbound rules for the Outfox Service and UI. I am not using a VPN.

I have always experienced this issue in Overwatch while using Outfox, however I've been only using it for less than 2 days, so I don't know how it worked before the patch...

Perhaps this is related to how Outfox detects that a session is over, because before every disconnection Outfox notifies me that the session has ended.

Edited by yotam96

I've recorded a video of this problem for your convenience:

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed info and the video! Much appreciated.

Keep an eye out for an email from me here shortly so we can gather some more information.

On the trial and getting the issue shown in the video. Any updates?

Hi! We haven't arrived at a resolution for this issue just yet but are still investigating it. Can I have you send us a copy of your Outfox logs?

You can find the log files for your session at the following directory paths: 

%ProgramData%\Golden Frog, GmbH\Outfox\Outfox.log 

%AppData%\Golden Frog, GmbH\Outfox\OutfoxUI.log

Open File Explorer (Win 8/10), also called Windows Explorer (Win 7).

Click in the field at the top that displays what directory you are in. It is the longer field to the left of the Search bar. 

Enter the Outfox directory in this format: %ProgramData%\Golden Frog, GmbH\Outfox (Do this for both paths) 

Press Enter. 

Locate the Outfox.log and OutfoxUI.log files in their respective folders.

Once you have those files, please send them to us at support@getoutfox.com

Hey everyone, just letting you know that they've fixed this issue and I can now play the game without any problems.

To the Outfox team - thanks!!!

@yotam96 Yes! I was just about to post that we had updated the configuration for Overwatch to resolve the issue when I saw your post. Thank you for reporting that it has helped you!

Hey @darkmcg

If Outfox is showing that the connection would be worse and Outfox isn't being used, this unfortunately means that Outfox isn't able to optimize this particular game from this network. If you aren't already, I would recommend trying to use the fastest server option.

When using the Fastest Server option to connect, Outfox completes a technical evaluation looking at factors including network congestion and ping time. It then determines if the Outfox network or your native internet connection is the fastest. If you see Outfox Not Used displayed, this means your standard internet connection was faster than the Outfox connection, so you were not connected to our network.

We're always adding more servers and further optimizing our service. Outfox may not be able to help with this game now, but in the future it likely will.

What was the resolution to this problem?  I occasionally deal with a similar issue even while forcing the best server manually, Outfox is almost always a small improvement due to the optimized routing so I'd love continue my usage with all minor bugs resolved.   Fyi, I have to use the manual option, because outfox will 50% of the time think its not the best server w/ fastest server option, even though it almost 99.99% of the time is always better. 

I already have a fantastic connection, its just the routing from Outfox is even better.  Basically I can go from 35-38 ping (no outfox) to 30-33 (w Outfox.)  It seems to be an issue with how Overwatch initially determines which server to place you on.  The only real solution I've managed to find is actually logging on and waiting a minute or so before starting any game, in this instance, it doesn't do the issue the original poster mentioned above.

Edited by asimdossani

@asimdossani Hello!

We understand you seeing performance issues using Outfox.

Please try the following steps to address your issue. 

1) Open Windows search or the Run prompt and type in: services.msc
2) Open the Services list and locate Outfox
3) Click to highlight Outfox in the services list and choose the option to Stop the service
4) Give it several seconds to stop, then choose the option to Start the service.
5) Launch Outfox

If the issue persists, please contact our Support Team: https://www.getoutfox.com/support

So I tried your suggestion and the issue still persists,  I will disconnect, reconnect, disconnect, reconnect for the first 30 secs of every Overwatch match, after that it will work fine,  also, previously I used to see no packet loss/jitter symbols in OW, now I do using Outfox.  The ping is better so I'd love to keep using Outfox, but it just seems more buggy inconsistent of late.