salmanmorshed

Overwatch voice chat issues

Question

First, I'd like to say that I really really love Outfox. I play Overwatch with it, and it really does improve my latency. 

Recently, some of my friends, who I group up with, reported that they can't hear me over (the in game) voice chat when I'm using Outfox. So I tried to investigate. What I discovered was this:  I can successfully join the group/team chat channels when I try. Then for the first 1-2 minutes I can hear and talk to people in the voice channel. But after a while, I can't hear anyone (and no one can hear me.) The game shows that I'm connected to the voice channel but there's no audio. If I disconnect from the voice channel and rejoin, it starts working for the next 1-ish minutes again. 

Hope you guys can fix this bug. Let me know if you guys need logs or something.

11 answers to this question

Hey @salmanmorshed,

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. We definitely want to get this straightened out if it turns out to be caused by our connections.

Your logs will definitely be appreciated whenever you get a chance to send them in. Tell me, did you happen to try messing with the server settings?

Was this issue happening just using the 'Fastest Server' option or did you have one of our specific servers selected when you were having this chat issue?

Regards,

Dustin

Outfox Support!

Hey, 

Thank you for sending this log file for us.

While we look through it, can you test to see if using 'Fastest Server' results in the same chat issues with Overwatch?

Regards,

Dustin

Outfox Support!

@salmanmorshed - Thanks again for the log file! It'll be helpful to review it as we try and reproduce this behavior on our end.

Can't say we've run into this in testing, but then again I don't believe we've done extensive tests for in-game voice chat. Unless you specifically need to use the Singapore server, I would definitely recommend setting Outfox to Fastest Server and having it select a server location for you if it finds a faster connection. That'll typically yield the best results.

I could probably infer this, but just to clarify - if you disable Outfox does voice chat work fine? You isolated this to Outfox specifically? No other system or network changes to speak of?

@Nick Hi, I've tried using the Fastest Server option for the last couple of sessions, but unfortunately, it's not yielding good results for me. Outfox determines that Hong Kong is the best server for me, which clearly isn't correct, because I get higher latency than what I get when I'm playing without Outfox.

And yes, voice chat works as intended when I'm not using Outfox.

@salmanmorshed Thanks for the latest feedback. I'll have product and dev take a look at it and will get back to you with further updates.

@salmanmorshed - I worked with one of our devs to try and reproduce the issue. After testing both Asia and America regions of Overwatch with different locations and Fastest Server, we were not able to reliably reproduce the problem. However, in one case, the dev I was testing with had Outfox drop the connection mid-matchmaking. Meaning, it showed Session In Progress, then when in menu/game matchmaking it said Session Completed, as if it just stopped randomly. This is new behavior and not ideal. Did that happen to you by chance?

I could see Outfox dropping a session if the network connection experienced an interruption of some kind. Is your machine wireless by chance? Overall, how stable would you say your internet connection is on your computer? One thing I could see, although still odd, is a network "blip" causing voice to die and then not come back (for some reason). This is when you might see Outfox drop a session and not come back up as well.

I ask about network connectivity and if you've seen this behavior in Outfox because the longest Outfox sessions we're seeing in your logs are 10 minutes max, and Overwatch matches usually last longer than that on average (or so I am told - not an avid player of the game myself). This may indicate the same Outfox disconnect behavior the dev saw in testing.

@Nick Hi, I can't specifically remember something like that happening to me while using Outfox, sorry. Connection to my PC is completely wired, but I can't completely dismiss the possibility that it may be caused by poor network conditions; maybe someone else on my WiFi hogging bandwidth can cause this? 

Overwatch competitive matches can last a while, but quick play matches are usually less than 10 minutes. So I don't think your discovery from the log shows anything unusual.

BTW, I would like to know how you guys are handling the voice comm traffic? Is it still going through your servers? 

@salmanmorshed - It's possible that someone leeching bandwidth on your network would cause interruptions. Personally, I know that when I am downloading Steam games at full bore or what have you when my wife is trying to stream, I get yelled at for the buffering that occurs :D

Outfox looks at the UDP ports Overwatch is using and proxies that traffic over our network. Assuming the in-game voice chat occurs over the same ports as game play, then voice traffic is being proxied as well. Although, I cannot 100% confirm this immediately. I do know we aren't intentionally treating in-game voice traffic in any special way (either including it specifically or excluding it accidentally).

If you have dual monitors it will make this easier, otherwise you can window-mode Overwatch - but, can you open Outfox and test again and let me know if you notice that mid-session disconnect behavior I mentioned in my last post?

I will keep an eye on this. I might try going through the Overwatch log files to see if I can find something helpful.

Also, it is possible that Overwatch uses different ports for the voice traffic. I remember that I had to open some specific ports listed on Blizzard's support page on a friend's router to have voice chat work on his PC; while the game server ports I usually see on the game's netgraph are completely different from those. So that could also be a potential cause.